What to do after a Car Crash
We all know that accidents happen, but what you may not know is what to do after they happen.
Should you ever find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being in a car accident, our friends at ICBC has compiled a great five (5) step list on what you need to do:
If anyone is injured, call 911.
Move the vehicles off the road if it’s safe to do so.
Avoid discussing who’s at fault for the crash
Get details.* Record the following for all the vehicles and drivers involved in the crash:
- Driver’s name, driver’s license no., province/state, and contact info
- License plate and year, make and model of vehicle
- Driver’s name and contact details
- Insurance details if the vehicle isn’t from BC
You may also need to provide this information to the police.
See if there were any witnesses. Record their names and contact info.
Describe the crash scene (if possible take photos or use the diagram below):
- What was the time, date and weather condition?
- What was the location?
- What direction were you both travelling?
- Where was your vehicle, and what lane were you using?
- Where was the other vehicle?
ICBC Dial-A-Claim staff are available to help 24/7:
In the Lower Mainland: 604.520.8222
Anywhere in Canada or the US: 1.800.910.4222
Translation services are available.
Written by Derek F.
Insurance Services Manager, New Westminster London Drugs